AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Death loss percent.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

feelnrite
Posted 4/26/2013 11:25 (#3064271 - in reply to #3064189)
Subject: Re: Death loss percent.

northwest tennessee
<p>Keith treats hard on his but the last two years in august sept there will be calves that will not respond to anything. You can treat and they will just dry up and die. You can use everything in the book. We have taken to the lab and they found only one or two drugs that will work but they are not that good either. I think there are things that may need to change some in the way he handles them but not sure. He waits 3 days to work them and gives excede and vacc. I have wanted to give an intranasal as soon as the come off the truck if not before they leave the sale barn. I dont think they are coming in sick they get it at his barn. It will hit all sizes but he likes to buy 200# calves and it will hit them hard but that is part of buying them too. I think at 3 days they already have it and after they get it there is no treating it. I think the key is keep them from getting it. Another thing too is he will pick up calves cheaper off of cows that didnt have milk or were being sold for some reason and they dont have much of an immune system to start with. They are behind the ball to start with. Starting them on straight oats has probably helped more than anything else.</p>

Edited by feelnrite 4/26/2013 11:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)