AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whats the next step in taking my corn yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 3/17/2013 05:03 (#2970363 - in reply to #2966715)
Subject: Re: whats the next step in taking my corn yields

Martinsville, Ohio

From my travels the past few years I would say the answer is 5 gallons of calcium nitrate applied with 5 gallons of structured water beside the row.  Many farmers are mixing it with the 28 and sulfur they are currently putting on at planting.  It is the next big advancement in corn yields for them. The U trough uses  a very homogenous, complete 17-9-7 on the other side of the row of 100-150 pouns of dry material.  This all creates a huge burst of energy for the emerging corn, makes corn on corn look like corn on beans.

I am trying to apply calcium nitrate to my wheat right now. The yield trials showed 19 bu advantage over a bunch of farms and trials and I called it 20 bushel eyeball in what I saw compared to the rows beside it that did not get that treatment. It's one small step in a bunch of steps to increase corn yields.

Since you are using anhydrous, I think that amount of calcium in the nitrate could be a yield boost unless you are releasing quite a bit of soil available calcium with your anhydrous application.

Ed Winkle

Edited by Ed Winkle 3/17/2013 05:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)