AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ortho vs poly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 3/16/2013 13:52 (#2969221 - in reply to #2969033)
Subject: Re: Ortho vs poly

Coldwater, Michigan
Generally a "good" 6-24-6 will have a higher ortho/poly ratio> I generally like to use 80-85% ortho/ 15-20% poly. A 70/30% ratio would still be decent. I see some that are around 50/50 and those products are normally easy to beat in a replicated trial. I think the reason for that is that the manufacturer is cutting corners to make a cheap product, and that is what you get, a "cheap product" that doesn't have much performance. These are the type of products that make up that 75% of seed placed starters that don't do better than the no starter treatment. Unfortunately some of the expensive Ortho products fall into that category also.

Anyway, a "good" 6-24-6 product with the higher ortho content, then has a very low Urea makeup for the Nitrogen content. Some have no Urea. Then has a good micro-nutrient makeup. You are not trying to solve a shortage of Zinc, or Mn, or other micros. Just enough to overcome weather induced shortages. A good package would include at least Zn, Mn, Mg, possibly a touch of Fe, S, and B. Those last 2 you don't want to get carried away with.

Then being liquid, it is easy to add micros to overcome true deficiencies. In addition to the micro pak, I usually add extra Zinc if going to corn. Most Micros in the liquid fertilizer should be of the EDTA form of micros in order to get availablity of that micro. Many of the micros sold don't have proper Chelation, such as EDTA, and become bound by the Phosphorous in the fertilizer. If that happens you don't get the full benefit of the Phosphorous, or of the micro, because they have bound together, and in effect become at least somewhat unavailable. Some of the lessor Chelates are cheaper, they give the fertilizer the same analysis, but they don't work as well. Goes back to my statement above about cutting corners.

In summary: Higher ortho/poly ratio; Low, or no Urea in the nitrogen make up; A good micro package with "Quality" micros; and if going to corn with it use at least a pint of zinc per acre in addition to what was in the micro package. A pint in the seed furrow will do more good than a Quart 2" x2" will do. More zinc will get into the plant by doing it this way, than putting it beside the row. If you had a true deficiency of Zinc, then 1 Quart could make sense. If you are No-tilling, then a Quart could make sense.

This product doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg to purchase, either.

Hope that has been helpful to you!

Edited by Bill Moyer 3/16/2013 13:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)