AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Keep row cropping or double the herd?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

southernblues
Posted 2/21/2013 21:27 (#2916663 - in reply to #2910456)
Subject: RE: Keep row cropping or double the herd?

SE Kansas

Jim - 2/19/2013 12:28

Sure, it is certainly possible to farm 300a with a 4020 and a 7000 planter why not take advantage of newer technology if it is available and has a good return on the investment?  I can still draw with pencils, velum and a T-square too...

Yes, it takes some initial investment but will return that investment and more in many ways, not the least of which is time.

Jim

edit: 100a of double crop beans x 30 bu/a x $14./bu = approx $42,000 gross income on the DC beans alone. If you take a newer bare bones 6r30 mounted planter with a life of maybe 10 years and if that newer planter produces maybe 5 bu/a more than the 7000  that planter will pay for itself very nicely.  

One reason for going mounted is they are much less expensive than a pull type as well as easier to follow the strip when planting corn.

jmho and experience. Use what you wish. Starting out, the 3010 or 4020 and AC planter is a way to get started with minimal investment. The OP here is in a different situation. 

Jim,

Unfortunately, DC beans in SE KS is lucky to make 15-20 bu/ac on good year, but still an oppty to profit on two crops when normally the wheat comes out pretty quick.

BTW - I've been watching all the youtube vids of a Dawn 6 row strip till machine.  Probably too much iron for my 4020?  I'm also picking up a neighbors 4630 (140-150 hp) this spring really cheap so I'm sure it won't have problem.  Do you strip till with your feed/hay tractor?  That's prob less than 80-90 hp?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)