AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I push and pack silage with a loader on the front of a tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

buckeyefarmer
Posted 2/10/2013 13:35 (#2888542 - in reply to #2886884)
Subject: RE: OK I know I'm stupid_

nw oh
All of your points are correct and they are not lost on us. We always believed that uprights were the way to go. But, one or our uprights was put up in the 50's the other in the sixties. So, we are working on 50-60 years of acid on these stave silos. We have had one resealed the other is due. Both unloaders are about 30 years old. We are just at a point of feeding more animals, covering more acres with less help than 30 years ago.

So, we either need 2 unloaders, reseal one, and a new blower pipe on one. Or I just take the plunge and put down a pad and make pile or bunk. I get the spoilage, but my loader starts every day, if it doesnt I have a backup. My unloader, I never know, if it doesnt it is on Sunday or when we are busy in the field. We may still use one of them for earlage or silage for a few mor years, have not decided yet.

Oh yeah one of the uprights when it was put up is a stave short on the shoot. It is really tight and I am 6' 5" in the winter with coveralls it is a tight fit. Swear at my grandpa every time that he did not make them do it right.

We also tried a bag this year, liked the way the feed came out and this solves some of the spoilage issues but, bags are not cheap, we rented a bagger and that was not outrageous but an every year cost but may not be able to get it when we want it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)