AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Straps or Chains??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kal Drogo
Posted 2/9/2013 00:49 (#2885440 - in reply to #2885428)
Subject: RE: Straps or Chains??

mcupps - 2/8/2013 18:22

I've always used chains and handles and have pullers, sometimes with the pullers I will use a combination of big square baler twine and chains. when I was a kid we always just put the chain over the legs as high as possible and pulled, but now I try to get a half hitch in the chain when ever possible and it sure makes a difference you can tell the calves seem to have alot less stress on there legs a couple hours later.

We have calved over 1000 head of heifers and pulled a lot of calves. I tried straps once and didn't like them once as they get slick quick. Doubling hocking calves with a 4 ft OB chain with the legs sticking out seems like the best way but its not practical in a lot of situations. We use the short OB chain and a lot of times you HAVE to have the OB hook to help pull a leg to get to the other leg. We've pulled em leg back, two legs back, head back, backwards, backwards with leg back, and backwards with two legs down. 90% of the time we get it done ourselves but any cattleman worth their salt can reach in and tell whether they can pull the calf or it needs cut out. I have never had a calf unable to stand and nurse by not half hitching the OB chains on the legs. Last year we did not pull a calf, but didn't calve any heifers, every year is different. I can't think of anything worse to use to pull a calf than twine other than maybe barb wire.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)