AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waitress loses job when pastor customer stiffs her for tip
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Yoosta B
Posted 2/2/2013 06:30 (#2868236 - in reply to #2867547)
Subject: Re: Waitress loses job when pastor customer stiffs her for tip

Restaurants are quite right to charge a fixed fee for large groups, no matter what they call it. I've been a leader of overseas travel groups, and inevitably, everybody seems to show up at the same place at least one night. I learned to tell everyone that wants to join, "You are most welcome- the more the merrier. But I will order a variety of dishes for the group, we eat family style, and we will divide the check equally, no matter whether you had wine, beer, coffee, water, dessert, or whatever." I pay with my credit card (and collect the miles) and then collect cash from everybody, either on the spot or later in the trip.

It's amazing how people seem to check their brain at the door (you can hardly blame them). If you let them order off the menu, they all ask the same questions one by one and then, when the server brings the dishes, "Okay, who had the _____?" Blank stares. "Who had the _____?" No clue. Or, even worse, the last one served says, "I didn't order that!" meaning that somebody up the line accepted something they didn't order. Who? Then, when the check shows up, you get the "Oh, I didn't have any of the wine", "I didn't have dessert, so my share should be ___. Do you have change?" "I want to pay by credit card: I don't have cash." "I'm splitting with Whositz."

I've had people decline to join the group under my terms, and I've (silently) thanked them for it.

How this bonehead pastor could compare tipping to tithing is beyond me...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)