AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shrink question 10 mile haul vs 70 mile haul?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 1/14/2013 21:33 (#2823312 - in reply to #2822992)
Subject: Re: Shrink question 10 mile haul vs 70 mile haul?

OK, I've got a similiar question and thought that's been running through my mind. Me and a friend of mine have discussed this before, wondering what yall thoughts are. The closest sale barn is around 50 miles away, and don't follow load numbers generally for sale order. I've had my cattle in early the day before only to sell late into the night, I've had cattle in late the night before only to sell early the next day. Same thing has happened to plenty of friends and neighbors. Know people that bring cattle in the morning of the sale only for their cattle to sell a few hours later while we wait for our cattle to sell thay were brought in the day before. I know, I call BS, and it has been brought to the sale barn owners attention many times between me, neighbors, friends, and other cattlemen. But I don't have a choice as it really is my only marketing option unless I want to pay for trucking to a farther market. This is more conveinent and the prices are generally strong.

Anyway, because of this BS this goes on, I've been thinking of hauling them in the morning of the sale. You think this would help? What kind of shrink could I expect? Would it be better than hauling them in the day/night before or no difference, or worse?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)