AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull Age Random Thought's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cows-n-crops
Posted 12/23/2012 11:28 (#2770340)
Subject: Bull Age Random Thought's

NEMO
After reading some of the posts from a thread below, I found it interesting a few don't like a bull over 5 years old. Over the years we have run several bulls to 7, 8, even 9 years old. We always semen check before spring turn out though.

While we were carcass ultrasounding the bulls a couple weeks ago, the technician commented on some of the 'prominent' Angus breeders (no names mentioned though) that he worked for and they didn't want their bulls to last more than 2 or 3 years so that the buyers would come back for more bulls sooner. This technician does about 7500 head a year, so he sees a lot of cattle and talks to a lot of breeders.

What spurred on this conversation was how bulls are grown and fed out. Seems like fat bulls melt and fall apart. Bulls pushed hard will have more feet and leg problems and not last as long.

My question to the guys turning bulls at 5 or younger is why? Is it soundness, or saved heifers and needing different blood?

To me getting another 2 or 3 years out of a bull makes the cost per head go down significantly. Just curiuos as to everyone's line of thinking?

Edited by cows-n-crops 12/23/2012 11:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)