AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you cover your makeshift silage piles?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 7/22/2012 14:55 (#2499960 - in reply to #2499903)
Subject: RE: Do you cover your makeshift silage piles?

Baldwin City, KS
We just make two rows of bales that are around 25-30 feet apart. I also use a few bales on the outside of these to help keep them from pushing out as you pack against them. I make an end wall out of bales and put another row on top of that wall so I have something to pack against as I go up. I push and pack as high as I can go then start moving out long ways and adding more bales as necessary. We use a tracked skidsteer and Versatile to make the pile. Keeping the pile packed good enough that the truck can get quite aways up helps alot as well if you don't have big time silage pushing equipment. The main thing is planning ahead before you just go and make a pile. Nothing worse than retrieving your feed supply out of a slop hole every morning.
It doesn't take much of a feed wagon to mess with silage. It can be fed in anything from nice concrete bunks and tires to on the ground if it's dry. Distillers grain or liquid feed can be layered between the buckets of feed and seem to mix well for the most part as the silage is fed out of the wagon. Not a whole lot to be scared of, just takes some extra help for a few days to get it done. I really enjoy chopping and feeding corn silage to my beef cows. I just hope so someday have a little more dedicated storage situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)