AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Here's the dilema......What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 7/8/2012 10:55 (#2473183 - in reply to #2473020)
Subject: RE: Here's the dilema......What would you do?

central - east central Minnesota -

dri - 7/8/2012 08:29

I have one field with center pivots.  Can water 80 or so out of 92 acres.  This is out of 1900 total acres of corn.   (I farm with my dad and 1 brother and my son)

I started watering over a month ago, about a month earlier than normal.  Fuel costs are about 750 a week for diesel. 

I have crop insurance with Enterprise Units so any extra I raise on the irrigated field will just lower the money from insurance, (I've carried ins for 20 yrs and never collected, except for replant).  I talked with my agent the other day and we agreed that the only thing I am going to gain from continueing to water is that I am betting that I can sell the extra bushels for more money than the insurance price per bu.  My expences would come off of the profit or loss from the extra bushels.

Should I just stop watering this corn and take the insurance?  Kind of goes against my farmer mindset to NOT raise the bushels.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I'm asking . .. .  (as I don't know)
Is there a way to split this farm off off the rest of your dry land?
Have its own production / insurance ?
Too late now ?
I hear of farmers/wife's and son's, which have seperated good from the bad production to maximise the insurence benifits - if needed . . . . ...  (edit: the hear-, worth what a guys pays for it. I have no idea if production could be miximised as mentioned)

Edited by iseedit 7/8/2012 10:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)