AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I get your opinion on this? (small rant)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RFI90
Posted 3/30/2012 09:03 (#2312838 - in reply to #2312642)
Subject: Re: Can I get your opinion on this? (small rant)

Northeast Iowa
Over-promising and under-delivering by the ICA? Wow, some things never change. When I was a director there ten years ago, they were big on carcass data collection. They told us at our board meetings what a tremendous package of information was offered to producers for the collection fee. I got information on one load of steers collected to be used for structured sire evaluation purposes. Marbling scores were part of the premium data set I paid for. When the data showed up, there were no marbling scores. I was told "it was an oversight." So that particular sire trial didn't have enough data to be used. The following year I sent another load through ICA. Same deal. No marbling scores. Again, they told me "it was an oversight." I asked one of the staff at the desk one day about data collection and marbling scores, since I was on the committee that those people reported to. "Oh, we don't collect that," I was told. "No one uses it and it's just too much information for them. We just keep that on the list of stuff we collect because it looks good."

When my term ended, my membership ended.

What's the commission they're collecting on bulls? Seems to me that it wasn't terribly low at the time I was there. I just looked at a couple of videos and they didn't spend a lot of money on professional video services, that's for sure. Walking the bulls from sunlight into shadows and then the background music they chose (Almost like Seinfeld, but not as good.) both leave some room for improvement. A lot of the videos have just been added within the last hour. The sale catalogs were mailed more than a week ago, so that means they were prepped some time before that, and they knew about the videos then but never bothered to get them up until today. And the sale's at 6:30 tonight, huh? I'd be willing to bet that the whole effort will be presented at the next ICA board meeting as successful. "We got all the videos up ahead of the sale and got a lot of feedback from people."

Good luck at the sale. Hope it goes well for you.

Edited by RFI90 3/30/2012 09:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)