AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf can't stand up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/26/2012 22:58 (#2307817 - in reply to #2307775)
Subject: RE: Calf can't stand up - splint (pics) calf pic added

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thanks. Yes she is out of one of my target cow families I want to build on. I think he was maybe in the 80 lb range. At some point we carried the calf to the corral so he couldn't have been too heavy! The heifer cleaned him up  but wasnt sure what to do next. Normally he would just walk over and start nursing colostrum but with his right leg like that he just couldn't walk at first. And she didn't know to go to him.

I gave him some artificial colostrum from a bottle. The next day my very helpful neighbor and I put the splint on, held the heifer in the headgate for a bit while she had a sweet treat, showed the calf to where dinner was and they both took it from there.

edit: the snow in the picture reminds me of how cold and snowy it was all last winter and into spring. The cold weather did tend to increase calf size a bit from normal. Funny how it isd the exact opposite this year - there is grazing grass in that spot right now. And with the warmer winter, I understand that average calf size should be a bit smaller.

However I need the biggest steers I can get at 13 months. My goal is a set of cows that can successfully birth a larger calf and get him growing fast.  The sire of this calf does have a good calving ease and has not had a lot of other problems other than the two BWF heifers I let graze corn...but that was my fault not my bulls'.

Edited by Jim 3/26/2012 23:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)