AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flaming Weeds (with fire, the real kind)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dingeryote
Posted 12/1/2011 23:32 (#2079883 - in reply to #2078053)
Subject: Re: Flaming Weeds (with fire, the real kind)

Michigan.
rHiNoBaLlS - 11/30/2011 23:51

I did look at the weed badger but what I didn't like about them is the soil disturbance. I am sure a better operator could run it more shallow than the demonstration I was given but it seemed like they were going down about 2-3" and we have a lot of feeder roots for the vines there. I also thought it was slow and I don't think it was too easy on the fuel (just my observance). I do agree, I can by a boat load of glypho for the price of these flame systems. It did seem like a propane set up would be more "idiot" proof. I do all the chemical application for our operation and it goes well. As we expand, I won't be able to do everything so at some point one of our guys will be responsible for application of chems. A grape vine I thought would come back form being torched but not round up'd. I do get asked ALOT of questions about how much and what kind of chemicals we use in the vineyard becuase what we produce is a food and people are extremely particular about it. So that's part of the reason for looking into alternative methods as well. To be honest, we use more chemicals per acre than corn but hand pulling weeds is NOT an option nor is going organic (leaving the weeds).

I hear ya on the speed issue with the Badger, they are slow. Fuel wise, if ya have a constant RPM PTO it helps.
Lemme guess, the demo was done using the disc? They always seem to demo with those, and they go too deep to illustrate the things capacity.

Buddy of mine uprooted a couple dozen young Blueberry bushes with his, untill he figured out the sensor and depth, and switched over to the "Finger" attachment.
More like a modern Friday Hoe and does a good job once set right. Fuel is cheaper than LP but for how long though...

Getting the same pressures on chem here as well.
Got an eye full of an air spade last year, and while bored and tilling it occured to me that the same concept could be used for weeding.
Just as soon as I figure out the PTO driven high volume compressor, I might have something...LOL!!

Good luck to ya!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)