AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

alfalfa seeding question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mulberrygrovefamfarm
Posted 9/8/2011 10:51 (#1952358 - in reply to #1951313)
Subject: Re: alfalfa seeding question

Iowa
We use an old planter to plant different things around the farm and what the manual says it drops vs what it really drops on the planter we use is way off, I guess because of wear etc . If you don't trust the drill will drop the amount it says it will - I didn't - Here's how I calculated the seed dropped per acre. Math gurus and others with a better method may want to chime in:
1. Generate a length number based on wheel rotation. I did 10 wheel rotations and measured the distance from start to stop of 10 wheel rotations to get length.
2. Next I measured the width that the drill covers to get width.
3. Length X Width gives you the area covered in 10 wheel rotations which is converted to a fraction of an acre.
4. Next we jacked up the drill and collected the seed from a few of the drop tubes on the 10 wheel rotations, weighed the seed and averaged that amount, and then multiplied that by the number of drop tubes to get the total lbs dropped in 10 wheel turns.
5. Now we know how much seed is dropped in the area covered that we calculated in the length x width #3.
6. To get lbs dropped per acre we just multiplied the number from #5 out by the fraction from #3 to get the total in the acre.

I think...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)