AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Children of the Harvest Special on NBC
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 7/17/2011 19:56 (#1867193)
Subject: Children of the Harvest Special on NBC

Blooming where I am planted!

I'm watching this on TV right now.  It's about the lives of migrant workers, and how children "that young shouldn't work".  It says that these children are very behind in school, and drop out at higher rates.  It shows a 10-year-old driving a small tractor and an ATV.  It says their parents work 10-12 hour days at the sugar beet processing plant.  I came in about halfway through this special, so I didn't see the whole thing.  I guess they're working during the school day, but seems to me that a happy medium could be struck by having them work a little bit after school or on weekends.

Can someone please, please tell me what the difference is, besides the difference in wage, between a migrant worker who is working 10-12 hour days and someone in corporate American who is working the same amount of hours?

I don't like how they're painting farming in this program.  It's like farming is something you are supposed to want to get away from, something you shouldn't "have" to do.  And pray tell, if children are not working in the fields after school, doesn't that give them more time to lay around, watch TV, get obese, and get into trouble?

Really having a problem here with them categorically dismissing children working on farms and farming in general.

Edited by amsunshine 7/17/2011 19:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)