AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rough night...anybody up that knows pigs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Borgman05
Posted 5/17/2011 18:06 (#1779475 - in reply to #1779060)
Subject: Re: rough night...anybody up that knows pigs?

South Central, Iowa
Sorry to hear about your experience. Gilts are always tough to farrow. I've had a couple that seemed alright, started nursing, and then a day later were goners. Oxytocin is alright, but with that you've got to really use discretion with it. Oxytocin causes tight short contractions of the uterus which in some cases is not beneficial to getting the pigs out, in those cases, lutalyse is a better option as it creates slower contractions and doesn't constrict the uterus. Pig pullers are great and often times can be a life saver...literally. Lube is a must if you're pulling pigs, the less friction the better. Even when using lube, you've got to be careful not to go in too far and tear the sow up. But, sometimes that's almost inevitable with gilts. Even had she survived, her breed back would have been difficult.

Sometimes those hard lessons are better to learn young, doesn't make it any easier though. I had lambs in 4H and lost one my very first year, that'll ruin your day especially when your sister brings home the blue ribbon you could have had.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)