AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is Radar essential to a 20/20 RowFlow system ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

houghta3
Posted 2/18/2011 22:36 (#1622315 - in reply to #1621760)
Subject: RE: Is Radar essential to a 20/20 RowFlow system ???

Saginaw Michigan
The radar is only really necessary when using Hydraulic drives. I dont believe it has any bearing whatsoever on clutch timing.

RE hydraulic drives:When you take off from a dead stop the GPS will have a slight lag before it sees the speed change. this can be mere tenths of a second, but remember 1/10 of a second can be equal to about 8" of travel. That lag is mostly due to smoothing and averaging routines within the GPS correction algorithms, so that you dont see your speed jumping all over. SO, we tie into the radar. what happens when you are mving is the radar is sending pulses to the controller, the more pulses the higher the speed. when stopped... no pulses. So, precision told the row flow to look for a pulse. as soon as it sees a pulse it kicks those hydrauilic drives into jump start speed. this is usually equal to 1mph or so. then when it gets a good speed reading it adjusts. other manufacturers have other ideas how to do this. JD and several others use a toothed wheel on one of the planter wheels. as soon as motion is detected by creating a pulse on that toothed wheel---jumpstart speed. Rawson uses a button in the cab to go into jumpstart speed. the system needs some easy way to tell the controller you are moving the instant you start, and i think PP has accomplished it pretty easily. i wish they had input to use the JD spoke(tone) wheel input since most of them have that on a wheel already.

SO bottom line is this: if you have hydrauilc drives controlled by your 2020, then you HAVE to hook to radar to get happy results. If you dont have the drtives and the 2020 running them... then the radar is NOT necessary in that situatuiomn, it might help, but is not do or die
-mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)