AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble fieldlevel 2 vs Intellislope by Guadiant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mx270a
Posted 1/3/2011 22:12 (#1525013 - in reply to #1523906)
Subject: Re: Vertical Accuracy

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I've been doing some testing over the past month with a pair of NovAtel Smart-MR10s. These numbers are 3 sigma (99.7%) vertical drift over 24 hours. GLONASS was used in all tests

Local base station (5 feet away) = +- 0.74" (average of 3 tests)
IA RTN RTCMv3 MAX network solution = +-1.74" (average of 6 tests)
IA RTN RTCMv3 Nearest base station (9.62 miles away) = +- 1.96" (average of 3 tests)

What I'm seeing is that the MAX network solution is better than using one base station alone with a 10 mile baseline, but it still doesn't beat having a base station in the same field.

Pulling data from a base 30+ miles away is something that is still on my list of things to test. I'm also curious how far I can push that baseline limit. 60 miles? 100 miles?

Of course it doesn't take 24 hours to lay a tile run, so the real concern is how much drift will you see in the 10-30 minutes it takes to plow a line in. Those numbers there will be tighter for all three correction methods.

Is it better to use a local base station? Yes.
Is a network solution "good enough" for tile work? In my opinion, for most people, Yes. You'd have to be on some extremely flat ground for this to be a "no".

-Lance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)