AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are your favorite winter gloves???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 12/16/2010 19:14 (#1489844 - in reply to #1487938)
Subject: RE: What are your favorite winter gloves??? Layers worked for me.

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I've been out of livestock for many years, but haven't forgotten winter problems and having to use hands in zero and below.  Mittens and light cotten gloves worked best for FIL and myself, he turned me on to that trick.  Mittens by themselves are too awkward, but with light jersey gloves underneath we could sneak out a hand to turn a nut or tighten a screw, and not be totally unprotected.  When operating machinery before cab tractors, leather gloves with jersey liners worked better for us than insulated, again could use the jersey if fine motor skill was needed.  We did other combinations, cannot remember all of them, but the basic theme was a light jersey glove inside of anything else.  If it warmed up during the day, we could use either the outer or inner glove, depending upon conditions.

I liked deerskin or goatskin gloves in summer, but they got hard to find and I bought several when I could find them. 

I still have a large collection of new and partly used gloves, mittens, and jersey on hand just in case, but don't use them as much now that I am pretty well retired.

Edited by Illinois John 12/16/2010 19:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)