AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versatile 750 series II?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

crowbar
Posted 12/1/2010 11:11 (#1463075 - in reply to #1463043)
Subject: RE: Versatile 750 series II?

Hazelton, Kansas

RBH:

I had a 750 for several years. I believe it was a '77 model. It was a waaay better tractor than the 2470 it replaced, but still quite a bit short of our 835. HP numbers are very similar for the 750 and 835 (220 and 230, if memory serves), but the 835 has MUCH stronger torque rise. If an 835 is within your budget, I think you would be happier with it.

Other than the torque, the tractors were very similar. They are very good, solid, honest tractors. There are lots of the old red Versatiles still working in this area, as many parts and components can be purchased at truck shops. Just a guess, but I would imagine Versatile has a higher percentage of its pre-1985 4-wd tractors still running than any other brand.

I think the 750 started a little better in cold temps (NA, higher CR). Neither starts very well in the cold.

Checking hydraulic fluid is much easier on the 835 (750 hyd dipstick is under the floormat).

Air cleaner setup is much better with the 835. We added an RW pre-cleaner to the 750.

The 750 served us well as a drill/planter tractor. We added a hydraulic system to drive cyclo fans, etc (belt driven off a stub shaft added to the front of the crank).

Steering cylinders and ball ends are a relative weak spot on both tractors.

FWIW

MDS

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)