AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1480 and flax
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 9/29/2010 00:11 (#1377908 - in reply to #1377890)
Subject: RE: 1480 and flax

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
School Of Hard Knock - 9/29/2010 22:57

How tight do you run the concave?
I might be able to come up with a riple tim out of the 914 shoe floor bottom.. It seems to me I have a peice in the storage shed. How long do I make the tin??? A foot just like the cardbard?
Im a little shy of cutting the first rows of fins out of my seive.. how would it be if I split the sieve and made a seperate adjuster so I could open the front fins independently from the rest.. Maybe just leave them all the way or most of the way open?Ive been thinking about that for a long time.It would get a lot more air up ofer and in between the chaffer and sieve, adn ti wold still give me the option to close it off If I dont like it.
How many fins are reccomended to be removed?
T I A

I run the large wire concaves with 3 cover plates at 0 in wheat and flax.

The ripple tin helps a bit to "walk" material to the rear of the chaffer, not really all that necessary though, smooth cardboard works fine. ( I used smooth brown cardboard for the first three years and saw no difference in wheat or flax sample when I replaced it with a genuine Harvest ripple tin.
9 inches minimum, with a modified shoe sieve, 12 is better with a stock shoe sieve, as it lets you reduce the fan speed more to reduce flax blown over the shoe sieve into the return.

Guess the "2 stage" shoe sieve might work, although makes it unnecessarily complicated.
I feel your pain, I had a very hard time making myself take a 4 inch angle grinder to a 1 year old shoe sieve that first time. After seeing how well it works though (flax and wheat in the return reduced 50%), I did it on two others since then without making the slightest wimper.

Check out Case IH combines DOC at this link., it shows using a ripple tin and modifying the shoe sieve.
http://www.harvestservicesltd.com/index.php?p=bulletins

I would not use any ripple tin other than genuine Harvest ripple tin, it needs to match the ripples in the chaffer top. If another ripple tin does not match the shape, it will leak a lot of air, while flat cardboard will not.

Edited by Jon Hagen 9/29/2010 00:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)