AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Global warming and weather?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NIF
Posted 6/19/2010 16:24 (#1243132 - in reply to #1243093)
Subject: RE: Global warming and weather?

Northern Idaho
Traveling Man - 6/19/2010 12:20

Looked Christian's video of flooding and I wonder what do folks think about weather these days? Do you think we have more extreme weather that "good old days". Or is it still "normal"?

I'm ready to say more extreme weather. And we have seen some issues like canola bugs and slugs we didn't have earlier in last few years. Don't even wanna think what happens if things will "develop" like they have in last few years. We are gonna have lot of challenges whit pest's and disease's...

So...what do you guys think?

I am a weather nut and have done a lot of studying through local weather records on the subject. Every area is different but here it appears to me that there may be more precipitation extremes now but not temperature extremes. In the 1930s in my area some of our hottest temperatures ever were recorded in summer along with some of the coldest temps ever in the winter. (Nearby weather station July heat record 107F 1934, February cold record -44F 1933 and January cold record -36F 1937) In the 60s was a similar thing when the hottest day ever in the inland northwest occurred in that decade along with one of the coldest winter temps ever in 68'. (All time record high 108F Aug 1961 and December record low temp -33F 1968)
Now days we hardly ever go above 100F and hardly ever below -15F BUT the past few summers we have had frost damage to our crops in late June and July when historically that has not been a problem. We have not broken those specific temperature records since then but have broken precip records for both wet and dry. Back in the 80s and 90s there were a few years when everyone thought the weather was getting more extreme because we had multiple years in a row with hail damage. That suddenly changed and now we have not had hail damage in years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)