AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting an Insight into A JD 6500 Sprayer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/22/2007 06:01 (#123601 - in reply to #123314)
Subject: RE: Putting an Insight into A JD 6500 Sprayer

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I haven't done a 6500 but you are now aware of some of the problems with installing an Insight in a self propelled sprayer.

You are correct about the situation in using the Raven. If the Raven had a serial port you could use an Insight with the App Rate module to hook up to it. The Raven console that is in a 6500 is a special version of a Raven 440 and doesn't behave exactly like an on off the shelf Raven. Just replacing it with a genuine Raven 460 would not completely solve your problem either since it would create another. Also when running through the Raven you would not have Auto swath control since the original switches on the sprayer are still running the spray valves directly.

Using the Insight with the Direct command liquid module and the Auxiliary input module can be done but is not always the easiest. In this arrangement, the boom valves must be rewired so that the switches become inputs to the AIM and don't turn ON/OFF the valves directly. The Liquid module needs to be wired to run the boom valves. If the valves are not rewired, the system has no way of "taking over" and shutting off the booms automatically for you.

You have also thought ahead to the idea of "getting it back to original" in case of a trade. Another reason you might want to have this option is if the Insight is being used elsewhere and you still want to use the sprayer the "old way". We run into this combination of events quite often when installing an Insight with DC in a self-propelled sprayer. Yet the advantages of the Insight are very tempting because the end result can work extremely well.

In certain sprayers, I have been able to rearrange the wiring so that the above can be accomplished with some jumper connections. This varies from sprayer to sprayer but the general concept is to be able to route the wiring so that it can easily be changed from the Direct command back to the original.

Also be aware that the inputs to the AIM are not as simple as one might first assume. The AIM module uses a scheme referred to as "Switch Presence Detect". Without going into detail this means that a simple SPST switch as is commonly used for Boom Switches is not sufficient. Many times the original switches are not used and the Ag Leader 10 boom box is used instead. In certain cases, I have used the original Master (floor switch or joystick) but used the Ag Leader switchbox for the sections. This again gets pretty tricky. In the Ag Leader setup the Master is a separate switch and a separate input to the AIM. It is not just the source for the individual boom swithces as is commonly done.

I'm confident that this sprayer could be done but is probably best done by someone with experience who enjoys a challenge. It may be a bit late to pursue it for this season.

Edited by tedbear 3/22/2007 21:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)