AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

poor heifer & cow fertility ????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Habbernator
Posted 3/21/2010 21:13 (#1130189 - in reply to #1128546)
Subject: Re: poor heifer & cow fertility ????

Yep, closed herd and the Flecks started 2 generations ago. We still have the line today. Been using select sires for many years and never had this problem. No cattle introduced into the herd in over 5 years. All bred at home and raised there. We havnt kept any bulls due to the genetic similarities and inbreeding possibility and we havnt found any marketing/auction sites to send our bulls to if we keep them . I see in Alexandria, MN there is a yearly or every other year Simmi auction that I have thought about. Best bull I had that I thought a buyer was coming for (never showed up) was a 10 month old that weighed 1350 lbs. Ended up cutting him and carrying him for 4 more months then selling for slaughter. WE show them at fairs and have some people that inquire but no one has showed up with cash. Cattle are loosing ground in the local area (urban spread) but we sure like them. ONly 1 other simmi breader in a 50 mile radius that I know about. Trying to find another breeder now since I cannot afford to carry these that didnt breed. Really sad and Im very PO about it. Ive seen the bunches in Canada, thinkin about getting some semen from there...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)