AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

baseball field farming, gypsum to help drainage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mosoildoc
Posted 3/9/2010 10:01 (#1111946 - in reply to #1111167)
Subject: Re: baseball field farming, gypsum to help drainage?

Central Florida
Tile sounds like a good idea until you know what the soil is like. Tile doesn't work in Central Missouri. The clay is too tight and it won't allow water to percolate or move from a tight pore space to a large pore space like in the slots of a plastic tile. Gypsum is effective way to flocculate the clay particles and create more air space for water to percolate down through. How far down it will percolate is another question. Most athletic fields use a crown in the center and drainage away to the sides of the field. Schools with a lot of money will mix sand in with the soil to create large pore spaces for drainage. I have lived in Lubbock, TX , Cordele , GA, Marion, IN , Mt. Vernon , IL, East Central IL and Eastern MO. I would never consider making one recommendation that fit soils in all those locations. The soils and rainfall expectations are very different all over this country. Advice needs to be offered by what works here for me unless you are familiar with that geography. I wouldn't begin to tell someone from Australia how to treat his soil.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)