AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Clothing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rodrod5
Posted 3/6/2010 22:42 (#1108135 - in reply to #1107971)
Subject: all the info you need

Lubbock, Texas
http://www.organicessentials.com/

you do have to have a gin 100% cleaned before an organic crop is run through it

just contact those folks.....I have met a family that is in this group several times (they farm another crop I used to work with)

they are the nicest people you would ever meet, very upfront, and in the business because it works best for them and they like the market

the main market is hygiene products (something men don't think about except oh once a month maybe) and medical products for situations where ANY chemical residues might be too much

I don't know if this group does much in the way of shirts or clothing, but I am sure they will sell all they have if the price is right, but I know they are more interested in longer term STABLE markets VS the fad of the week

the small bit I have been told about how they farm their cotton is lots of organic matter (compost), lots of crop rotations, and lots of attention to soil fertility and microbes......from what I am told if you can get a rotation down and manage the fertility and soil properly you will get to the point that most weeds don't like the environment and the pressures decrease.....weeds are after all scavenger types usually thriving in areas that have "issues"

you also try and do things when it is less convenient for the weeds and weed seed......IE timing tillage to match weeds sprouting and or to match when weed seed is vulnerable if disturbed.....and the theory that if you get them before they go to seed that is less pressure next year......of course in West Texas where you wake up and the farm 5 miles over is in your truck bed you still have weed seeds everywhere

they are pretty straight forward in my talks with them.....they like the organic, but they like the return better......at least in the crop I was dealing with (they were also farming it organic) what they always said if it came down to losing a seasons crop or spraying in relation to that particular NON COTTON CROP they would spray if they had to......so there was no "chemicals are evil", voodoo farming methods, or bad mouthing conventional farmers....just people looking for something that worked better for them and fit into how they wanted to manage their operation

if you are interested in organic cotton, peanuts, wheat, rye, sorghum and similar west Texas rotation crops I am sure they would tell you all they can to help you get started or to be more knowledgeable about how they do it........the ones I know in that group are extremely nice people......I am about positive all the others in the group I don't know are just as nice
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)