AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harvestore Filling.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JHB
Posted 2/13/2010 12:36 (#1072864 - in reply to #1072564)
Subject: RE: Harvestore Filling.

Central IA
I have 3 on the farm leftover from cattle feeding days. I filled them for 20 years with a 6" grain vac necked down to 5" piping. It would move 1500 bu. an hour up the 60' and 1100 bu. an hour up the 90' when everything is running good. It got by at that time. Vacs get slower over time and are expensive to repair. After about 450,000 bu. through my system the elbows an cyclones started wearing through. I put up a leg 9 years ago and feel it is a better way to go. More expensive up front but I should be able to retire before it does. I feel the leg causes less damage than the vac and the ability to switch bins quickly with the speed of the leg has helped me finish harvest in a timely manner.
The main downside to Harvestores for dry grain storage is they tend to leak a little and the dark blue color causes them to absorb heat more so you have to watch grain condition more than a bin. I started out with aeration tubes in them which got me by also but limit aerating abilities. I now have full floors with big fans and sump guards on the unload augers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)