AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wiring question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 2/28/2021 18:13 (#8864380)
Subject: wiring question

NW IL
Getting ready to do a little hard wiring for an inverter (2500w) at my daughter's house. Will be small output, and no transfer switch, so trying to do as safely and as simply as I can.
Instead of running an extension cord to her furnace, will this work?

Tack up a somewhat permanent NM-B line from the inverter (which is outside) back to the furnace area. Unhook the wired cable connection from the breaker box AT the furnace itself, and install a new separate PIGTAIL onto furnace. Then install a switch such as this

https://www.legrand.us/wiring-devices/light-switches-and-dimmers/com...

that would have the power cable from the fuse box and the power cable to the inverter hooked to it so ONE of those (depending how switch was thrown) would now feed the furnace pigtail. (I ASSUME 6 terminals on the back of the switch) Then just flip the switch one way or the other to feed power from only inverter OR the breaker to the furnace.

I could instead have a receptacle on both the end of the original line to the breaker AND another receptacle on the line from the inverter, and then just chose which receptacle to plug the furnace pigtail into (depending on which is hot). A switch for her would be "easier" to do this, and less connections for me to wire. But didn't know if the DPDT was built so it would not ever internally fail and short out, with a possibility of then having the inverter backfeed into the breaker box via the old furnace lead. Probably not code??

I cannot locate a picture of the back of the above switch to see what terminals there are on it, nor a "schematic" of the switch itself.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)