AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N holding capacity with N serve on mid to lower CEC soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MOcattlefarmer
Posted 2/11/2021 10:44 (#8824224)
Subject: N holding capacity with N serve on mid to lower CEC soils

SEMO
Planning a better N program and Have a question regarding N serve and mid to lower CEC soil that I farm.

On our better ground we have a CEC range from 8-10 and a CEC from 6-8 on lighter soils. Lets say they average 8 all together. I know the general rule of nitrogen holding capacity is 10x CEC, and that's just a general rule, But does holding capacity increase when N serve is added? Or does it just stick around longer? Right now we are pre-plant N only and am planning on side dressing this coming season. I am still going to apply pre plant AA and wondering what rate I should be shooting for that wont leave?

Average 45" a rain per year here in Southeast Missouri, with a lot of that in spring.

Have been applying 150 to 200 lbs AA with N serve 4-14 days before planting. 2x2 dry fertilizer on planter of 9-23-30 @ 250 lbs adds another 22 lbs N.

Organic Matter range from 1-2.5 Silty loam and clay loam soils. Yield goal of 150 -200 depending on soil.

Going by the "Rule" I can only apply 70 lbs of AA and not loose any. 8CEC x10 = 80 - 22lbs( 2x2) = 58 lbs actual N =70 lbs AA

So does N sever hep me hold onto that over applied AA?

If so how much ?

Can I get away with say 100 lbs actual pre plant and side dress the remaining 50-100? that way I could get everything in with 2 applications.

After good rain all year in 2020 I feel we lost N and has got me thinking of changing N programs. Just cannot find info of what N serve does in this situation. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Aaron
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)