AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grass Hay ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Henry
Posted 4/17/2009 21:44 (#683995)
Subject: Grass Hay ?

I have 40A that I would like to plant into a grass for baled hay. Most grass don't usually don't yield real well for a couple of years. I would like something that yields well the first year. I thought Teff would work but learned that it doesn't keep very well outside in round bales. The salesperson told me to plant festulolium. She said it dry's a little slow. Whatever a little slow means? The extension office rates it near the bottom for dry hay but quite high for silage and grazing. Bryron Seeds in their "Forage Guide" has a "Hakari Brome" listed as a very fast establishment factor and an easy dry down. Hakari looks like a better choice, but the only thing I can find out about it is it doesn't last long. That maybe be OK if I under seeded it with some longer lasting but slower getting started grass. Does anyone have any experience with "Hakari"? The Bryron salesperson said he sold a few bags and nobody complained. Is there something better out there for what I want to do?

I have a small feed lot about 100 head, I have all the alfalfa I can use. The last couple of years I baled about 20A of grass that grows on some muck (peat, long time drained swamp land) I have. This has turned out to be my most profitable crop. I sold the hay to horse owners.

I am getting quite an education on what quality hay is. Green no dust and pretty are the most important things in good hay. Bale size is next. The brownish yucky alfalfa just won't due.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)