AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Massey/Challenger feeding straw chopper evenly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BobNESD
Posted 9/27/2020 17:41 (#8518005)
Subject: Massey/Challenger feeding straw chopper evenly

I have a 2004 Challenger 670, same as a 9790 Massey. Sometimes it seems hard to get the straw chopper to get an even amount of material coming out across the entire width. It seems especially bad with a certain variety of beans that are taller and have straight stiff stems. They seem to want to hang up in the right side of the rotor discharge area blocking straw from getting into the right side of the chopper so hardly anything gets spread out past the tire tracks on the RH side of the combine. Every once in a while the wad comes out and straw shoots all the way out to the uncut beans, but then it seems to hang up again inside. Sometimes when I shut off the machine, as it's coasting to a stop, you can see that the wad falls down and it comes blasting out the RH side. I took off the piece that's bolted to the RH side of the rotor discharge are, that seemed to help a little, but it still spends too much time not spreading to the right very far. It will do good for a while, spreading almost the whole width of a 35' head, but then plug again for a while. The weird thing is that I also ran a 2010 MF9795 for a while last fall, which has what appears to be an identical chopper and rotor discharge area, and that machine spreads evenly and beautifully out of both sides all the time! I don't think this has anything to do with the adjustable deflector plate on the left side of the rotor discharge because straw is hanging up on the right side. Thanks for any advise if someone else has had a similar issue.
l
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)