AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Follow up on feeding tube
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farmer82
Posted 9/26/2020 07:15 (#8515706)
Subject: Follow up on feeding tube

S.E. Iowa
Monday they asked me about a feeding tube being put in a friend I watch after. He had indicated to them he wanted it although there could have been some psychosis. They scheduled him for Tuesday but couldn't get his blood in balance. Wednesday they did it. I was allowed to be with him an hour before and hour after. The last time I saw him was Friday evening thru the window of the nursing home. They took him to the hospital at 545 AM Saturday morning. He looked pretty bad Friday night. When I saw him on Wednesday he had really slipped but managed to communicate although I couldn't understand anything. The difference between Saturday and Wednesday was steep but the nurse told me he was improving.
I can't say I am adamant against feeding tubes but it gave him his only hope. Hindsight is 20 20 but they never said that the tube would most likely be permanent, and even though it is subjective as to what getting " better" it was a mistake.
His doctor (a hospitalist) called me yesterday and said his chances of improving are extremely slim. He suggested hospice, and i agreed. This was a different guy than the guy that suggested the tube. He is now in hospice totally unresponsive waiting for the alarm clock to ring. It hurts to see this and if I could put a little more voltage in the clock to speed it up, I would. As the priest said last night, " its time to let God be God" ......

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)