AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 9/16/2020 17:40 (#8499221)
Subject: Growing corn

I am not a row crop guy currently but could possibly get into it. Currently I farm about 500 acres of pecans and recently got into hay. Once I got into hay and realized how easy it is and the equipment is so readily available i am realizing pecans are not the thing to farm.

I see people talking about corn prices that are 3.50 a bushel to 3.70 a bushel. How does that work? Where do you sell your corn to? Do they discount your price compaired to what market price is?
I figure 150 bushel an acre corn with $70 an acre rent seems you could make 50 to 75$ an acre before goverment assistance and it is an insurable crop.
How does someone figure out what seed cost would be and other expenses and what varietys work best in my area.
I am in need of some new and other pecan harvesting equipment as I have just plain wore out what I have and I was compairing pecan harvestor prices to combine prices and combines seem to be fairly cheap, seems for 80k you could get a decent one that could cover about 1000 acres a year with a little wrenching. Figure on tillage equipment, planter, and such about 100k. And I could add 2 more 40k tractors.
I could sell my pecan equipment and have about 350k easy. And as of now I need about 180k worth of new stuff. I am profiting about $100 an acre with current pecan prices (they are 1/3 of what they were before trade war) and chemical bills are through the roof, about 8 fungicide sprays a year of expensive product.
I know I could plant haygrazer and probably sell every bale I produce for $65 a bale and make about 6 bales an acre on cheaper land that cost $40 an acre and make about $125 an acre profit but seems it would be easier to sell corn than hay and corn is much more insurable.
Just looking for advice.
Even seem some nice looking combines sell today in auction for 20 to 30k like 9500 Deere or 2388 caseIH.
Can a person expect to farm 1000 acres with equipment like that. Also keep in mind I am not racing snow or rain during corn harvest time here.
Also 160 bushel corn is about the average yeild on the area I thinking about farming.

Edited by StxPecans 9/16/2020 18:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)