AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone not bought a tractor that their grandfather owned ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TD15
Posted 9/13/2020 09:10 (#8492545)
Subject: Has anyone not bought a tractor that their grandfather owned ?

There was a 4450 that I was interested in on a upcoming estate sale. Doing a little research on the guy I found out he had an uncle that bought one of my grandfather's tractors after it was traded in. Walking around a couple of days before the sale looking at the 4450 I told the guys with me I bet that's my grandpa's old 2840. I wrote down the serial number before we left because I still have my grandpa's machinery purchase receipts back into the sixties. Sure enough it was his 2840 JD that he bought new and kept about five years. Had a few people tell me I should buy it and my response was we didn't like it when it was new. The tractor did have a story to it though, he had a freshly dug pond and wanted to remove the snow off it to prevent winter kill of the fish in it. Well about the third time he went to plow snow it fell through the ice and was completely submerged. I was the lucky one that got to staddle the tractor and ice on the ladder to hook up the chain. So while I didn't buy it this weekend it brought back a lot of memories.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)