AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

farmers farm, teachers teach, doctors practice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 7/5/2020 19:18 (#8356062)
Subject: farmers farm, teachers teach, doctors practice

East central Iowa

Looking around our area I see children of farmers getting into ag related business, children of professional people following in their parents profession, factory workers kids used to get jobs because of the unions but not so much anymore.  It's not a hard and fast experience that kids follow their parents into jobs and careers but a lot of them do.  For the simple reason that they've been exposed to that career or job as they grew up and it's what they know.
I see actors kids getting into show business in one manner or another.  

In our area there's a push for education.  It might be college or technical school but it gets a lot of kids a better job and life.  

The reason I mentioned all this is the question below about race and farming.  People generally follow into jobs or careers that they have some experience with and in physical areas that they've grown up in.  If you've lived in the city all your life and farm life is portrayed as something not exactly cool compared to so many other professions it's hard to imagine what are generally city folk rushing into the country ro farm.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)