AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Grain Marketing advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ajblair
Posted 6/26/2020 06:50 (#8336778)
Subject: My Grain Marketing advice

Dayton, IA
Was just filling out my spreadsheet I started a couple years ago. Real simple - start on the left with the date then move right and first column is cash corn price at preferred ethanol plant then basis for that delivery. Then soybeans same, headings across the top to label each column. As time goes on and I track more numbers just add another column, can just keep moving right as many columns as you want. Sometimes I put an entry in each day, sometimes only once a week. If I have some special trade I can track that and put the entry and exit and how it moved in between kind of fun to look back.

See people calling for less politics and more marketing discussion. I know most farmers probably already do this to some degree but it has helped me once I got some entries added up over time to get a little perspective and also a couple times a week to just look at the markets and move the numbers to my spreadsheet and see what has changed. I glance at markets and forget in perspective where we are at relative to yesterday, last week, last month. As I put the number today into it's spot I can see what it was last week real easy and helps me see if anything has actually changed or not.

When there are so many outside influences on the market I will hear news and assume corn should be trading from $1 to $9 weekly according to the most current presidential tweet or midwest rain but then I can go back to my sheet and see that corn moved $0.02 for the week and it was just the news cycle that was wild.

Hope this helps someone and am confident it will hurt no-one.

A.J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)