AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Remote for checking booms
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/30/2009 07:20 (#661917)
Subject: Remote for checking booms

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have seen some reference here and elsewhere for a wireless remote system on a sprayer where the operator could get out and control the boom operation while observing the boom.

The idea is that the operator could start/stop boom sections via the remote while observing the boom for plugged tips, leaks or other problems. In the case of a plugged tip, the operator could start the boom, stop the boom and clean the tip and then retest. This could save some trips back/forth to the cab.

There are several units available on the market to do this. I believe these have been out for a while. I think Raven has introduced their version this year. To my knowledge most of these have been setup to blend in with the Raven wiring pattern as it is very common.

One poster emailed my about the idea of using a wireless remote in this fashion with his Hagie controlled by an Insight Direct Command system. Just this week, I purchased a used Deere 4720 and this got me thinking about wireless remote possibilities again.

I ordered a couple of two channel wireless remote/Tx kits from Carl's electronics in California. They have many models and styles but I chose the two channel model since I felt it would be a good balance between price/performance.

I wired the receiver into the Brown connector on the AIM. This takes a bit of knowledge of the pins and switch presence detect routine. I use the pins for Inputs E2, E3 and E4. These wires are connected to the reciver unit which I mounted on the back of the sprayer.

The Insight is setup with a new fake field and a new extra configuration. The new field is called "Tip Check Field".

The new configuration is setup exactly the same as the original configuration that is used for spraying but named "Tip Check - Not for Spraying". Once the Tip Check Configuration is created, a couple of changes are made. A Manual speed of a reasonable value is entered and the Input switch settings are changed. The default switch settings for my sprayer were. Master=Switch, F2=Boom 1, F3=Boom 2, F4=Boom 3, F5=Boom 4 and F6=Boom 5. I changed the Input switch setting screen to: Master=E2, E3= Boom 1, Boom 2 and Boom 3. E4=Boom 4 and Boom 5.

To check the boom, I do the following on the RUN screen. Pick the Tip Check Field, Pick the Tip Check - Not for Spraying configuration and also a product. I then prepare the sprayer to spray - Pump On, engine rev'd up etc. At this time, the Insight will not pay any attention to the normal Master/Boom switches so it should not be spraying.

I then grab the remote and walk back to the boom. Pushing the Left button on the remote should open Boom valves 1,2 and 3. Pushing the Left button again should cause them to close. Pushing the Right button should open Boom valves 4 and 5. Pushing the Right button again should cause them to close.

Had I chosen a remote/Tx with more channels, it would have been possible to have more combinations to run each section independently but I felt that this would create added complexity to the wiring and not offer many advantages.

Since on my 4720, I still must use the Deere system for Rate control, the situation is slightly different than if the Insight were doing the rate control as is often the case. In my situation I need to switch the Deere to Manual control where the system watches the pressure. I then turn on the Deere Master and then crawl out to check the booms.

Edited by tedbear 3/30/2009 07:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)