AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bunker Mentality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Wilder
Posted 4/5/2020 11:31 (#8166617)
Subject: Bunker Mentality

Sidney, Michigan
In the late nineties I served as an Armored Cavalry Troop Commander in Bosnia. Patrols everyday to "enforce the peace" between Serbs and muslims. We saw a huge split in the attitude between those of us outside the wire each day and the intelligence officers who never left the base. The Intel geeks developed this bunker mentality from reading reports and watching the news that the world was coming to an end, that we were liable to be ambushed at anytime and that we needed to be prepared for high intensity combat. At the same time the locals we interacted with everyday were glad we were there, invited us to sit down for coffees at every opportunity, and were hopeful for the future. It seems like I'm seeing the same thing with this virus pandemic. Life on the Farm has not changed much. We discuss the situation and take common sense precautions, social distancing, hand washing etc but it has not impacted us for the most part. If I look strictly at the raw numbers from Johns Hopkins or worldometer instead of listening to MSNBC the risk is low and we will get past this. There have been no deaths in my tri-county area and the health care system seems well prepared. I guess what I'm trying to say with this is don't develop a bunker mentality, take care of your farm and family, think for yourself, its not as bad out there as some are trying to make out.

Edited by Wilder 4/5/2020 11:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)