AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snow - a 4 letter word
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 3/19/2020 19:44 (#8120289)
Subject: Snow - a 4 letter word

East of Broken Bow
Well, it's snowing here, in my part of Nebraska, just in time for calving season. I was hoping after the last 2 years that maybe it was time for a calving season with nice weather, but that's not in the cards, at least for right now. Rained all day, turned to snow this evening, all with 40+ MPH wind gusts (which is actually better than the 50 MPH they were predicting as possible in yesterday's forecast). I've done all I can, now it's up to the mamma to keep the babies warm for the night. The only bright side is the wind is supposed to die over night, and we are supposed to see the sun tomorrow. As long as nothing freezes by mid morning tomorrow, it looks like we'll make it.
Weather like this, generally isn't so bad for the losses, as calves can take a short period of bad weather pretty good, but all the extra work, mud, and misery just wears me down both physically and mentally. I've seen drought, and I've seen floods, and I'm thinking the floods are worse, especially when it comes in the form of what seems like unending moisture (and cold). The last 2 springs, make that 3 now, have had so many days where about the time the yards turn into non-slop, it rains or snows again. If the ruts get too much deeper, I might have to start spraying the tractor tires with Lysol, because they might be digging up the Corona Virus from China lol.

Anyway, just had to vent a little. I REALLY feel bad for the guys West and NW of me. We're supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow, and lows in the mid teens. Out in the Panhandle, they are talking 6-8 inches of snow, heavier locally, and lows into single digits. For everyone there, wishing you the best, and feel for you, if you're calving in it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)