AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good luck, Bad luck, happy with cards as dealt?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JustIf
Posted 6/17/2019 22:31 (#7565590)
Subject: Good luck, Bad luck, happy with cards as dealt?

-North Mo
Decided a replacement heifer was bred, should not have been and was luted in Feb, but still was undeniably bred. Due to rotation timing and situation, mile + through hay meadow to anything close to a facility in which to load her, thought I'd wait it out and hope for the best. Well today she calved, Good luck- she done it solo, live healthy calf (50 lbs??)
Bad luck - she walked away as to not have any clue what that thing was.

She is just over 16 months old, I gave the calf colostrum and now do not know what to do.
Do I bring her home and get her to take the calf? She will need additional care and groceries/ and could possibly stunt her growth
Do I just bottle the calf (currently have 4 bucket calves from left over twining this year) and mix him in?? He will never be able to compete due to his age/size/situation.
Do I leave the heifer as is, look for him a new home (kid with nothing better to do and a unexpecting parent)

A few years ago I would have brought her in, but not sure if that's the most practical (financially) thing to do - and getting the age that loading heifers in the middle of a pasture on the end of a rope is losing its appeal.

what would others do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)