AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For comparisons sake, 2008 was a record flood event year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 5/18/2019 09:09 (#7503097)
Subject: For comparisons sake, 2008 was a record flood event year

for many in the corn belt. Haven’t looked up planting progress from that year, but Iirc, it wasn’t planting delays but the huge rains starting around the 8th Of June. Cedar Rapids was daily national news. I remember watching Jim Bower being interviewed on AgDay, and the look of concern on his face was rather apparent. He made the comment that the lights should be blinking at USDA headquarters, we were facing a huge crop disaster. (If somebody would know how to find that interview and post it would be great. Would have been around the 12th of June, 08 on AgDay) No more than the words came out of his mouth, the sun came out and stayed out with just about a picture perfect growing season. I would have never guessed that nightmare early season scenario could turn out so good. National average ended up at 153.9. That was absolutely the very best case scenario yield for the early conditions we faced. So based on that, I can’t imagine we have the kind of perfect weather going forward like we had in ‘08 to finish this crop. Not even close. And add in much more PP than ‘08 besides? All that being said, 153.9 is my early absolute best case scenario avg yield. Then start subtracting each and every event for the rest of the growing season from best case scenario. National avg gonna be pretty disappointing for end users come fall IMO. Old crop corn is also in my opinion gonna be worth quite a bit come mid August thru sept to keep Eplants running. If somebody asked me for what to do with old crop corn, I’d advise keep an eye on it for condition, and hold it till late, late summer. I believe a person would be rewarded handsomely for their patience. My thoughts on a crappy cold Saturday.

Edited by Boone & Crockett 5/18/2019 09:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)