AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Da*** Fire ants
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CGinWTN
Posted 10/8/2006 13:29 (#49668)
Subject: Da*** Fire ants

How are you other southern boys dealing with fire ants in soybeans? They have about kicked my a** this year. I have mounds about every 10 to 15 feet in my notill and some are as large as a five a gallon bucket. I try and lift the header over them but it is heart breaking to see about as many laying on the header at the end as I dodged. I'm getting so much dirt in the bin that the auger has a hard time turning. The crossaugers chain jumped off about 5 times yesterday and I was afraid it wasn't going to start up again. It's a lot of stress not knowing if you are going to be able to get the beans off the combine or not when its time to unload. It looks like a dust storm at the elevator and its easy to run over the truck when you can't see anything but dust. I don't want to even think about it raining and geting the mounds wet. I have both arms covered with bites (although I use a hoe to rake the mounds off the header) I have been having to dig the throat out because of it not feeding in right and the ants get on me then. Well I guess thats it I just had to vent a little.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)