AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Convince me electric drives will put money in my pocket
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Sodbustr
Posted 5/25/2018 22:11 (#6778704)
Subject: Convince me electric drives will put money in my pocket

Western Iowa
I am intrigued by electric drives. A lot of things to like about it.

I have a 2012 24-30 JD 1770 that has been a great planter. Set up with row clutches that have been almost flawless. I run ground drive as I had a hydraulic drive planter in the past and didn't care for it. I see no need for it unless I move to variable rate, which I won't do anytime soon.

As much as I would like to trade planters or spend 75K to have Deere convert my planter over with all new row units and wiring, I am having trouble wrapping my head around how it will pay for itself? I farm almost exclusively on contours and it bugs me that I have corn plants 3" apart on the inside of a curve and 8" apart on the outside of a curve. It also annoys me on the 90 degree corners where I have the inside row unit almost stopped and there will be a pile of plants in a short stretch and plants are closer to 10-12" apart on the outside. I have trouble with late season foxtail in those spots. Not enough canopy.

I know I would like the electric drives, but how does a guy take a pencil to it and justify it? Will they pay me back in dollars?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)