AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First shots for calves?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wompass
Posted 5/23/2018 19:38 (#6775490)
Subject: First shots for calves?

Trying to learn what shots to give for our beef cows and calves going to pasture soon. I'd like to learn and cut out the vet as much as possible.

I don't know what specific disease / issues we have while they are pastured, besides pinkeye. We have coughing and pneumonia issues when the calves are in the feed lot for a couple months after weaning. A couple end up with bloating, occasionally a calf instantly drops dead with blood running out of its nose.

Like most things this has all turned out to be more complicated than I initially thought. I started out just wanting to use different fly tags, but I thought I might try to do it all. I've read several articles and they all recommend the same couple things while others recommend additional vaccines on top. I don't even know what brucellosis is!

Heres what I've come up with so far for the calves which will be close to 4 months old when they're worked

Alpha-7/MB-1
7-way blackleg and pinkeye, prevention of Clostridium chauvoei, septicum, novyi, sordellii, perfringens Types C & D and Moraxella bovis

Triangle 5
IBR, BVD Types I and II, PI3 and BRSV

Synovex C Calf Implants
Implant for steers or heifers (including replacement heifers) from 45 days of age to 400 lbs.

Not sure about these. We usually implant for the fat lot the next time the calves are worked around weaning. I don't know if they interfere with those implants, but if it works I would try it.

Those 2 vaccines cover everything besides lepto and brucellosis which is recommend. We usually give 2 shots so I think the vet usually skips these 2.

I don't know what to give the cattle yet. I don't think our vet gives anything this time of year besides fly tags and pour on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by wompass 5/23/2018 19:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)