AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First shots for calves?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wompass
Posted 5/23/2018 19:38 (#6775490)
Subject: First shots for calves?

Trying to learn what shots to give for our beef cows and calves going to pasture soon. I'd like to learn and cut out the vet as much as possible.

I don't know what specific disease / issues we have while they are pastured, besides pinkeye. We have coughing and pneumonia issues when the calves are in the feed lot for a couple months after weaning. A couple end up with bloating, occasionally a calf instantly drops dead with blood running out of its nose.

Like most things this has all turned out to be more complicated than I initially thought. I started out just wanting to use different fly tags, but I thought I might try to do it all. I've read several articles and they all recommend the same couple things while others recommend additional vaccines on top. I don't even know what brucellosis is!

Heres what I've come up with so far for the calves which will be close to 4 months old when they're worked

Alpha-7/MB-1
7-way blackleg and pinkeye, prevention of Clostridium chauvoei, septicum, novyi, sordellii, perfringens Types C & D and Moraxella bovis

Triangle 5
IBR, BVD Types I and II, PI3 and BRSV

Synovex C Calf Implants
Implant for steers or heifers (including replacement heifers) from 45 days of age to 400 lbs.

Not sure about these. We usually implant for the fat lot the next time the calves are worked around weaning. I don't know if they interfere with those implants, but if it works I would try it.

Those 2 vaccines cover everything besides lepto and brucellosis which is recommend. We usually give 2 shots so I think the vet usually skips these 2.

I don't know what to give the cattle yet. I don't think our vet gives anything this time of year besides fly tags and pour on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by wompass 5/23/2018 19:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MeadowlandsBeef
Posted 5/23/2018 22:00 (#6775868 - in reply to #6775490)
Subject: RE: First shots for calves?

Northern Minnesota

wompass - 5/23/2018 19:38 Trying to learn what shots to give for our beef cows and calves going to pasture soon. I'd like to learn and cut out the vet as much as possible. . Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Why do you want to "cut out" the person that can help you the most?

SDfarmer81
Posted 5/23/2018 23:19 (#6776021 - in reply to #6775490)

SW South Dakota
Will your vet give you recommendations on what to use and sell you the vaccine to give yourself? Or are you looking to source vaccine somewhere else? Your local vet would know what you need to vaccinate for. We give Pyramid 5+Presponse and Vision 7 20/20 at branding and then booster in the fall before weaning. We are also required to give replacement heifers a Bangs vaccination before they are a year old. We do all our own shots except the bangs vaccination.
kodiak2
Posted 5/23/2018 23:22 (#6776027 - in reply to #6775490)
Subject: work with Vet

SE SD
daddycal
Posted 5/23/2018 23:35 (#6776044 - in reply to #6775490)

Montana
We have gone to a Merck vaccination program and have had very good luck. I really like the Vista Once but hate to mix it and many of Merck's reps and management are really not friendly or helpful. We have a local Gal who went to work for merck and she is the reason we decided to use the vaccines. We use the vision 7 with spur and Vista once SQ, on our calves and will use the Vision seven with somanus when we precondition. We gave the cows the Vista 5VL5SQ. Never implant a heifer calf if you want them to be replacements. There is no real benefit as they will grow plenty and do not need or want to get fat. We neuter our Steers using a Bradizzo and it cuts the seminal vesicle without cutting the skin. The hormones remain but the testicles shrivel to nothing. So we sure do implant with synovex c on steer calves. It may be a good idea to drench worm your cows this spring. We drenched our cows with safeguard and we drench our calves at preconditioning.
Our Merck rep is Megan Cremer and she is fantastic I don't know how big her area is but I know a good area rep is wonderful.

(70FB77A6-7F11-44A7-9BB6-4EC30110BB87 (full).jpeg)

(E59A6B35-83B8-4475-A6D8-E2AB381FA808 (full).jpeg)

(7A72176E-1976-4C7F-99AC-EC9E4993FC63 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 70FB77A6-7F11-44A7-9BB6-4EC30110BB87 (full).jpeg (153KB - 99 downloads)
Attachments E59A6B35-83B8-4475-A6D8-E2AB381FA808 (full).jpeg (189KB - 103 downloads)
Attachments 7A72176E-1976-4C7F-99AC-EC9E4993FC63 (full).jpeg (118KB - 102 downloads)
wompass
Posted 5/24/2018 08:44 (#6776393 - in reply to #6776044)

Thanks for the replies, thanks for the big post daddycal. The Vista once gives protection to 2 additional diseases over the Triangle I was looking at for twice the price. I hear killed virus vaccines are a waste of time and money, might be the way to go with the Merck.

Edited by wompass 5/24/2018 08:50
SDfarmer81
Posted 5/25/2018 08:41 (#6777788 - in reply to #6776393)

SW South Dakota
Modified live vaccines and killed vaccines both work, but they work differently. If I remember correctly, a killed vaccine builds immunity over a longer time period, kind of like a slow release. As a result they effects last longer. It has been a few years since I was at a meeting discussing all this so I don't remember everything.

It is also important to give modified live shots and killed shots in different locations. The carrier for the killed can kill the modified live I believe. They recommend giving them at least two inches apart. I personally give them in opposite sides of the neck. A friend gives the killed below the modified live.

When cleaning vaccine guns, only use hot water. Do not use soap. The soap residue can kill the modified live vaccine.

Giving shots properly is more important than what brand of vaccine you use.
Jim
Posted 5/26/2018 02:13 (#6778854 - in reply to #6777788)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Live vaccines can cause abortions in some cases, or so I am told.

SDfarmer81
Posted 5/26/2018 10:21 (#6779231 - in reply to #6778854)

SW South Dakota
I believe that is true. That is why modified live vaccines are to be given prebreeding. I think they can be given a booster while pregnant, but only if given the first shot before breeding. We only use killed vaccines on cows, so I'm not completely up on all those protocalls.
wayneNWAR
Posted 5/24/2018 06:04 (#6776187 - in reply to #6775490)

north west arkansas
Personally I'd keep using the vet until you gained more knowledge then I'd probably still use him. Even if you get a good knowledge I'd probably still source my product from him. A good vet that'll take care of you is Gold. I work with 3 different vet clinics just in case I've got a problem when one is gone on vacation or closed for the day. Always amazes how some people don't understand why they can't get ahold of a vet. They don't understand you have to pay them money to get them to answer your calls.
Jim
Posted 5/24/2018 08:51 (#6776402 - in reply to #6775490)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

How many saved calves does it take to pay for a vet visit?  There is also more to it than reading a label, for example when to give a live or killed vaccine. A good LA vet also knows what you need in your particular area. Trying to "cut out" the vet seems to me to be a false economy.  Just tough to prove when you don't have sick animals.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)