AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fire Update.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 4/19/2018 07:01 (#6718811)
Subject: Fire Update.......

Southeast Colorado
Well first off.........the well wishes below really does help. BIG thanks!

We lost 6 outbuildings but somehow the house is still there. We had two other rental type houses that we've not had renters in for a few years that are gone. The shop is gone but we've got a second that made it. My mom lost her house and barn/everything at her place. Luckily she had just bought a house in town 6 months ago and was about 25% moved into it.

We have no power because there are lines down everywhere and lots of poles to replace. The power company is kicking butt and making repairs so it probably won't be but a week or so there. Luckily our daughter lives in town so we are coming in here and sleeping.

We are being overwhelmed with help but I'm almost too scatter brained to know how to utilize it. I think we've found all the cattle but haven't gotten a good count. We had several bags of corn burn the bags off. Yesterday was spent putting fires out in the corn. Lots of smoldering. Not sure how we're going to get that picked up right now and it's a dilemma. We might try and get tarps to cover since "in a very ironic way" it's supposed to rain this weekend for the first time in almost 200 days. If anyone knows of tarps or has any suggestions I'm all ears on this one. We vacuumed up a bag last year after an accident and it was slow and took forever. With about 40k bushel exposed now it almost seems impossible.

We lost a bunch of equipment and all of our hay stack but those are concerns for another day. We are going to sell all the calves and cull the cows hard and find a place to just put the cows in to a lot. We fall calve so most of the babies are big. Several dead cattle around but I don't think they are ours.

Hard to even imagine at this stage farming this season. May rent the farm to a neighbor. I'm sure we'll do something but some stuff is insured and some not. We'll be OK but it has definitely changed my long term outlook. To what I'm not sure but once we get the immediate "Have to" stuff done we've got some serious decisions to make.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. This definitely feels like family (and in some instances better than) on this site. We all share the same passion and goals farm related. And I also urge you to carry on talking markets. I like seeing the regular posts and felt bad for slowing this page down for a day with my previous comments. Carry on!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)