AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Portable GPS rock marker ideas ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 9/8/2006 18:42 (#42322)
Subject: Portable GPS rock marker ideas ?

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
I need a portable GPS unit that can be mounted in a combine cab and have an easy "one button" way to mark the location of rocks. The thing needs to be simple so the busy combine operator can just touch a button to mark 1 or many rocks per round without taking his attention away from operating the combine. Something accurate to 1 or 2 meters with WAAS should be good enough. I suppose a magnetic mount external antenna will be needed to work inside the combine cab. Any ideas what might work and where to get it ?
Our problem is that we farm no till and harvest with a stripper header,so our fields always have 2-1/2 plus ft of straw canopy where you can only see rocks easily when looking straight down through the straw behind the combine header. It does not work to search an area where the combine operator says a rock/rocks are because the low seating position of a loader tractor or pickup hides the rocks in the straw canopy. I see some units advertised as storing up to 500 way points,is this the kind of rig I need ? TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)