AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Mexico speeding ticket questions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 5/2/2014 20:51 (#3850620)
Subject: New Mexico speeding ticket questions?

Aggieland
I was on the way home from Arizona after a long tiresome week there and this moring I pulled out of our hotel in Ruidoso and started the last 5 hours home. Well as I got to the edge of town I didnt know the speed limit but realized I was going way too fast, so I start braking and see a 50MPH sign and reach that speed and begin to set the cruise. Too late I see a cop coming up from behind, no lights on top, a Dodge Challenger I believe. Anyway I knew I was guilty and wasnt going to be a jerk, he was friendly and said he got me at 64 in the 50. Hes probably right on, I knew I had pedaled it a bit too much. Anyway he walked up with the ticket but hadnt put a speed on it. He said he was going to be nice and offered me a "municipal" citation for 60MPH with a fine of $50 or he could give me a state ticket for $150. Ive never been given a choice on a ticket. I asked if this goes on my record and about defensive driving. He said Id have to take it to court to get defensive driving. I said no worries Ill just pay the fine, municipal that is. I am confused about a state ticket versus a municipal ticket, never heard of that here in Texas. Also any speeding ticket in Texas can be off your record if you pay the fine and take defensive driving but all tickets even isued by a city cop go on your state record. SO I researched a little here on the interweb and it appears to me as though this ticket will only show on my Ruidoso driving record and I will be charged 3 driving points out of 12. If I get 12 points in a year my license will be suspended. I could be completely wrong but I thought Id ask here. My best friend is a cop here in Texas and he said not once has he ever seen a speeding ticket on a Texas driver record from another state, and he's seen hundreds Im sure. Im not too worried about it because its my first ticket in several years so its not like my insurance will go up anyway but I just thought it was odd to be offered a speeding ticket two ways.

Glad to be home none the less.

Caleb
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)