AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow-Calf vs Row Crop Profit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

OldMcdonald
Posted 4/5/2014 16:25 (#3798986)
Subject: Cow-Calf vs Row Crop Profit

Napanee, Ontario
Was talking with someone earlier.... they were saying how much more money there was in cows vs row cropping right now. He figures there is about $400 a head profit to the cow guy on a 800 lb animal selling for 1.75.

I said sure, maybe even more but lets use the 400.

He started off saying 2 acres a cow for pasture.... I replied that was likely only achievable on prime soil, and that nationwide average is probably closer to 4-5 acres / cow.

Then i said what about the winter feed? On 5ac/hd ground you're going to need another 2 acres of winter feed for the cows and the weaned calves.. So basically 7 acres per hd/year.

So we did the math, $400 per hd profit / 7 acres = $57/ac profit

What about your livestock labor? Cows are a year round deal... whats the price on pulling calves at 2am in a January blizzard when it's 30 below? feeding every day, needling, roping up sick ones, trucking them around, tagging, castrating, worming....

So we said another $30,000 for say 250 cows to calve out and winter feed them to pasture time, which is probably cheap. That works out to $120/hd

so $280/hd / 7 acres = $40 acre. He didn't seem so convinced anymore.

I said wait, wait.... it gets way better: Consider that for the better part of the last 15 years or so, cow/calf averaged $50/hd. At best maybe 75-100. Well you can see where this is going....

50/7 = $7 /acre
100/7 = $14 /ac

It seems cows have only just caught up to grain at best, when you consider that many folks are shooting for $50 acre in crops this year. And that's even on $4.50-$5 corn, which is the sad part. When you think that $7+ corn was bringing $300+ for those that had it, that works back to about $1500-2000 profit / head if it was on animals.

The whole exercise really put into perspective, just how little the ROI there used to be in cattle on a per acre basis.

And now, $57 an acre before labor isn't really all the glamour and profit that some seem to expect from 170+ sticker price on feeders. It's really not even that good at all on a per acre basis, considering how much more work is involved, i say it's still got a ways to go since it is only approx as good as $4.50 corn.

I said to him "doesn't that just want to make you go out and buy a few truck loads of cows??"

Edited by OldMcdonald 4/5/2014 16:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)